In November 1936, Professors Charles L. Jamison of the University of Michigan and William N. Mitchell of the University of Chicago sent letters to teachers of management courses inviting them to a meeting at the Quadrangle Club, University of Chicago, to discuss the formation of an organization of educators to advance the philosophy of management. The professors attending the meeting on December 28, 1936, agreed that the new organization should be called the Academy of Management. Future annual meetings were to be used for exploring the organization's purpose and presenting and discussing scholarly papers.
As the Academy of Management evolved, concerns arose about lack of support for scholarly research in management. Members saw such research as the necessary foundation for defining the Academy of Management as an academic rather than a practitioner organization. To formalize the Academy's support for research and the exchange of ideas, the membership created a constitutional committee at the Academy's 1940 meeting. A constitution formally adopted on December 30, 1941, declared the Academy's scholarly purpose.
No meetings were held during the World War II years. Reactivation of the Academy of Management occurred in Chicago on December 27, 1947. The following year, in Cleveland, the Academy was broadened to become an organization of college teachers of management. The original founding members became the AOM Fellows.
Since its beginning in 1936, the Academy has evolved from an organization of 10 members to an organization of over 19,000 members from nearly 120 nations. Today, the Academy's 25 professional divisions and interest groups promote excellence in established management disciplines. Five U.S.-based affiliates, the Eastern, Midwest, Southwest, and Western Academies of Management and the Southern Management Association as well as two international affiliates, the Asia and Iberoamerican Academies of Management, promote the exchange of ideas and provide collaborative opportunities for colleagues sharing a geographic area, language, or cultural identity. The Academy of Management continues to support scholarly activity and the exchange of ideas through our divisions and interest groups; annual meeting; Academy of Management News; listservs; AOM Online; collaborative activities with affiliated and associated societies; and five journals: the Academy of Management Annals, Academy of Management Learning and Education (AMLE), Academy of Management Journal (AMJ), Academy of Management Review (AMR); Academy of Management Perspectives (AMP) - formerly the Academy of Management Executive (AME).
The Academy of Management is located on the Briarcliff Manor, New York, Campus of Pace University. Prior to residing at Pace University, the Academy's head office was located at the volunteer treasurer's university, rotating with each new appointment. In 1994, the Academy's Board of Governors made the decision to hire professional staff for the growing association and conducted a national search for a more permanent home. Pace was selected from the field of potential candidates and the Academy has resided at Pace since 1994. The Academy of Management has benefited from the administrative and infrastructure support given by Pace University and in turn the Academy has contributed to the scholarly objectives of the Lubin School of Business. As in other successful models of this type in which preeminent and independent scholarly associations and universities align, Pace University and the Academy of Management have experienced a mutually beneficial relationship aimed at advancing their shared academic missions. The Academy of Management thanks Pace University and the Lubin School of Business for hosting its office and Website.