Joint AMR and AMD Paper Development Workshop, Poland
Registration deadline: 1 June 2022.
In-person joint workshop hosted by the Faculty of Management, University of Warsaw
University of Warsaw Library, Dobra 56/66, Warsaw, Poland
Monday, 4 July 2022 (full day) – Tuesday, 5 July 2022 (half day)
Sherry Thatcher, Editor-in-Chief, Academy of Management Review, Kevin Rockmann, Editor-in-Chief, Academy of Management Discoveries, and o ther Associate Editors and Editorial Review Board members from both journals will be in attendance.
Purpose and Agenda
This workshop is geared toward PhD students, junior scholars, and senior scholars from Europe, and particularly Eastern Europe, who are interested in publishing in AMR and AMD. The hope is that this workshop will help participants develop well-crafted manuscripts suitable for submission to AMR and AMD.
- 9:30-10:00: Registration/Coffee and Light Refreshments/Networking
- 10:00-12:00: Opening Session (Led by Sherry Thatcher and Kevin Rockmann)
- 12:00-1:30: Lunch/Networking
- 1:30-3:30: Participants attend breakout session with either AMR or AMD
- 3:30-4:30: Combined closing session/Q&A
- 9:00-9:30: Coffee and Light Refreshments/Networking
- 9:30-11:30: Participants attend breakout session with either AMR or AMD (whichever journal breakout they have not yet attended)
- 11:30-12:00: Wrap-up and closing session
The AMD breakout session similarly requires that participants read the pre-workshop readings (listed below) and prepare a 2-3 slide, 5-minute presentation of an unexplored phenomenon / context / process that would be ripe for empirical exploration to be shared at the breakout session. We will match approximately 5 participants with Associate Editor or an Editorial Review Board member. These groups will then discuss the participant ideas and provide the participant with insight about how to move the exploratory research forward.
The workshop is open to participants outside of the University of Warsaw. If you need suggestions regarding hotel accommodations, please contact: Anna Kuzminska.
Prior to the workshop, participants should read and prepare for each breakout session as follows:
- Read: Thatcher, S.M.B. & Fisher, G. 2022. From the Editors: The nuts and bolts of writing a theory paper: A practical guide to getting started. Academy of Management Review, 47(1): 1-8.
- Read: Fisher, G., Mayer, K., & Morris, S. 2021. From the Editors: Phenomenon-based theorizing. Academy of Management Review, 46(4): 631-639.
- Prepare: 2-3 slide, 5-minute presentation.
- Read: Rockmann, K.W., Bunderson, J.S., Leana, C.R., Hibbert, P., Tihyani, L., Phan, P.H., & Thatcher, S.M.B. (2021). Publishing in the Academy of Management Journals. Academy of Management Discoveries, 7(1): 1-9.
- Read: Bamberger, P. A. (2018). AMD—Clarifying what we are about and where we are going. Academy of Management Discoveries, 4(1), 1-10.
- Prepare: 2-3 slide, 5-minute presentation
Registration is required for all participants. The deadline to register is 1 June 2022.
To participate, please fill out this registration form. You will be asked to submit two paragraphs: one paragraph should contain an idea for an AMR paper; and one paragraph should contain an idea for an AMD paper. These ideas, and the short presentations, can focus on similar domains and research questions.