William H. Newman Award for Best Paper Based on a Dissertation
The William H. Newman Award is presented to the best Annual Meeting paper based on a recent dissertation. The recipient of this award:
- Addresses a significant organizational phenomenon
- Shows appropriate consideration of relevant theoretical and empirical literature
- Offers reasonable interpretations of the research results, draws appropriate inferences about the theoretical and applied implications of the results, and suggests promising directions for future research
- Yields information that is both practically and theoretically relevant and important
- Presented logically, succinctly, and clearly
Division program committees select one submission each year to nominate for this prestigious award.
William H. Newman Award Committee
Carolyn Dexter Award for Best International Paper
The Carolyn Dexter Award is presented to the annual meeting paper that best meets the objective of internationalizing AOM. This award is now overseen by an award selection committee.
Papers are considered for this prestigious award if they offer new insights, are rich in observation and employ creative methodologies. Papers receiving this honor typically reflect collaboration between scholars from different countries, topics that
are not in the U.S. mainstream, but are important in other countries' research traditions, and whose theme and content reflect an awareness of business and management outside of domestic boundaries.
Carolyn Dexter Award Committee
Presentation of Awards
All-Academy awards are presented at the following venues during AOM Annual Meeting.
All-Academy General Session
- George R. Terry Book Award
- Career Achievement Awards
- Carolyn Dexter Best International Paper Award
- Distinguished Educator
- Distinguished Scholar-Practitioner
- Distinguished Scholarly Contributions to Management
- Distinguished Service
New Doctoral Students Consortium (NDSC) Reception
- William H. Newman Award for Best Paper Based on a Dissertation
Journal Business Meetings
- Decade Awards
- Academy of Management Annals Best Article Award
- Academy of Management Discoveries Best Article Award
- Academy of Management Journal Best Article Award
- Academy of Management Learning & Education Best Article Award
- Academy of Management Perspectives Best Article Award
- Academy of Management Review Best Article Award
In addition to the journal Best Article awards, AOM journals recognize outstanding service and scholarly achievements through various journal-specific award programs. These awards are typically presented at the annual business meeting of each journal.
Division, Interest Group, and Committee Awards
Each division or interest group has responsibility for administering its awards program. Awards at this level are often presented at the business meeting of the division or interest group, or another venue considered appropriate by the unit initiating