PUBLIC AND NONPROFIT (PNP)
2023 Division PDW Program: Call for Submissions
PDW Chair: Erynn Beaton, The Ohio State University
The Public and Nonprofit Division (PNP) invites Professional Development Workshop (PDW) proposals that are inclusive, interactive, and which enhance the skills of public and nonprofit scholars and practitioners. Submitters may want to develop workshops that relate to the 2023 conference theme of “Putting the Worker Front and Center.”
We especially welcome PDW workshops that leverage the unique nature of the Academy of Management meetings to enhance communication between Public and Nonprofit Division researchers and the broader community of management scholars. Proposals that are likely to engage scholars from other divisions in topics of interest to public and nonprofit scholars and create the capacity for multi or interdisciplinary methods or understandings will be given priority. Preferences notwithstanding, we will duly consider all proposals that seek to enhance the professional development of the Public and Nonprofit Division’s members.
PDWs provide the opportunity to experiment with new models and ideas for sessions that do not fit within the confines of the regular program. However, submitters should take care not to create proposals for PDWs that would be more appropriate in other
conference formats such as panel sessions, symposia, and caucuses. If the primary purpose of your proposal is to gather scholars for a discussion, or to present theories, ideas, or concepts, a PDW is probably not the appropriate forum.
Below are some questions to consider in proposing a PDW
- Does the workshop offer a high quality and high-level learning experience that has a significant positive impact on the professional development of the participants?
- Does the workshop provide participants with a clear “take away” (e.g. learn new skill; develop a new research plan)?
- Does the workshop have a theme and a group of participants that will draw a strong audience regardless of competing sessions or scheduling restrictions?
- Does the workshop encourage multi-way conversation and interaction among participants from multiple divisions, disciplines, regions, career stages, or demographic backgrounds?
- Is the workshop interactive and inclusive?
In your PDW proposal, please include the following:
- In the one-page explanation as to why the workshop should be of interest to the division, focus on the relevance or importance of the topic. Why is development of this skill, work product, or plan important to PNP members? Why do you believe this workshop will draw a strong audience regardless of competing sessions or scheduling restrictions? Will it draw participants from outside the division?
- In the one-page description of the workshop format, cover the structure of the session and efforts that will be made to engage the audience. How will the audience engage in interactive activity during this workshop? How will it be inclusive? Please demonstrate why you believe this approach is pedagogically sound. In what ways will the proposed workshop encourage participation from a broad audience (or why is it appropriate to focus on a narrower audience, if applicable)? How much time is needed and how will it be used?
- In the one-to-three-page overview of the workshop, clearly define the professional development objective. What skill, work product, or actionable plan will participants develop during the workshop? Also provide short biographies (~125 words) of organizers and
PDW sessions will take place on Friday, 4 August 2023 and Saturday, 5 August 2023 during the annual meeting. The deadline for proposals is Tuesday, 10 January 2023 at 17:00 ET (GMT-5/UTC-5). The Submission Center is scheduled to open on 6 December 2022 and proposals will be considered on a rolling basis. There is limited space on the PDW program, so acceptance of proposals is competitive.
Please contact PNP’s PDW Chair, Erynn Beaton if you have any questions.
AOM 2023 Key Dates
- Submission Center Opening:
- Submission Deadline:
10 January 2023
(17:00 ET UTC-5/GMT-5)
- Review Period:
19 January-23 February
- Registration/Housing Open:
Early March 2023
- Decision Notifications:
Late March 2023
- 83rd Annual Meeting:
4-8 August 2023