To have a research work published in an Academy of Management (AOM) journal is beneficial for both the researcher and his/her institution. It is through publication that the research, including its scientific and practical contributions, is disseminated to others within the management field. Publishing within the AOM portfolio makes researchers and practitioners with similar interests aware of new knowledge in their field and helps to advance knowledge and its application. Publishing also shows expertise in the management field and an ability to conduct grounded research. The published AOM work also reflects highly on the academic institution(s) affiliated with the author(s).
Article Submission Guidelines
The Academy of Management receives article submissions to our six journals. Each journal is different in domain and mission. All are considered “big tent” journals and encompass a broad range of topics. Therefore, it is recommended that potential authors visit each journal page to determine the best fit for their research. We also strongly recommend visiting the Information for Contributors and the Style Guide for Authors documents for each journal.
Use the links below to submit original articles to the journal-specific ScholarOne site.
- Academy of Management Annals: the literature as the evidence base, integrative reviews with a point of view that set the agenda for future research.
- Academy of Management Discoveries: empirical based, data-driven insights informing down-the-road theorizing in management and organizations.
- Academy of Management Journal: empirical based, source of new knowledge that tests, extends, or builds management theory.
- Academy of Management Learning & Education: empirical and conceptual. Theory-driven research about management education, management learning and b-schools.
- Academy of Management Perspectives: evidence-based discourse. Perspectives on emerging evidence, implications of management research for public policy.
- Academy of Management Review: conceptual research. Theory advancement or development to significantly add to or inform new theoretical conversations.
To submit a manuscript:
- Make sure you have a Word file from which the title page and all author-identifying references have been removed.
- Go to the journal’s ScholarOne web site and follow the directions.
- Acknowledgements of others' help in preparing the paper for submission should be included in the letter to the editor that is featured as part of the web-based submission process.
- If you need assistance uploading your paper, please contact Manuscript Central support.
If you are a new user this will be a two-step process:
- Establish your account by entering name, affiliation, address details. and enter a few keywords describing your work. Do not submit your manuscript (despite the fact that there is the opportunity to upload a file).
- Next, go to "Author Center" and provide information about the current manuscript that you are submitting. Follow the instructions about submitting your work.
The Journey From Research To Journal Publication
All AOM journals have detailed workflows ensuring submissions go through numerous checks to substantiate they meet AOM ethical and procedural guidelines during and throughout the submission and acceptance timeline. Each AOM journal has its own specific set of submission guidelines, codes of conduct policies and article formatting templates, which must be strictly adhered to throughout the publishing process.
If a submitted article is accepted for review, the journal editorial team will initiate the peer reviewer process. Designated reviewers, chosen from a pool of subject specific volunteers, will each advise the editor to either recommend to approve the article, send it back for revision, or reject it. If revisions are recommended, the process continues until a final decision can be made on whether or not to publish the article within the individual AOM journal.
Through these policies, procedures, and editorial mechanisms, AOM enables the advancement of management research to align with our mission and vision, providing top ranked vehicles for our content and an invaluable resource for our global authors.
- Academy of Management does not charge submission fees.
- Submissions to Academy of Management journals are not automatically published and go through a rigorous review process that may include multiple rounds of revisions.
- If submitting your article to AMP, please submit a short proposal and not a full text article. Proposals that do not conform to the proposal guidelines will not be considered. Please review the AMP proposal guidelines.
- If submitting your article Annals, please submit a short proposal and not a full text article. Proposals that do not conform to the proposal guidelines will not be considered. Please review the Annals proposal guidelines.
Please review AOM's Style Guide for manuscript requirements prior to submitting.
Guidelines for submitting figures/images
- Make sure you use uniform lettering and sizing of your original artwork.
- Number the illustrations according to their sequence in the text.
- Tables and figures should be placed at the end of the manuscript, with placement instructions between paragraphs within the body text to indicate where these items would go (e.g., "Insert Table 1 Here).
The Academy of Management actively checks for plagiarism in all manuscript submissions. AOM uses Cross Ref iThenticate software to detect instances of overlapping or similar text in all manuscripts submissions. Learn more about CrossRef.