HEALTH CARE MANAGEMENT (HCM)
2023 Division Scholarly Program: Call for Submissions
Program Chair: Nick Edwardson, University of New Mexico
The HCM division invites symposium and paper submissions addressing any aspect of management in the health care sector. Topics include management of health care organizations; public policy issues, such as access to care, competition, cost control and quality of care, and their implications for managers; health care finance and marketing; comparisons of health care across countries; empirical or conceptual applications of theory in health care organizations; and development of organizational theory from studies conducted in health care settings.
In addition to submissions addressing the HCM domain, the HCM division also encourages papers and symposia focused on the 2023 conference theme, "Putting the Worker Front and Center.” This theme is especially relevant for HCM given the nearly three years of the COVID-19 pandemic and the resultant burnout
among providers and healthcare administrators.
Symposium proposals are particularly encouraged, as they provide conference attendees a coherent, focused session of either a series of authored papers explicitly linked to a common theme, or a group of panelists engaged in a formal interactive discussion around particular issues or questions. Symposia are more likely to be accepted if they are designed and submitted for co-sponsorship by multiple divisions or interest groups.
The HCM division also encourages submissions from Ph.D. students. Papers with a Ph.D. student as the first or sole author should be clearly identified at the time of submission. We also encourage papers that are earlier in development that would benefit
from collegial feedback.
The HCM division honors the following papers:
- Best Health Care Management Paper
- Outstanding Paper Based on a Dissertation – To be considered for this award a paper must be sole-authored and identified at the time of submission as eligible for the Newman Award.
- Best Health Care Management Theory-to-Practice Paper – This award encourages papers relevant to the practicing health care manager. To be considered for this award a paper must be designated as “Practice” oriented at the time of submission.
- Best Global Health Care Management Paper – To be considered for this award a paper must be global and identified at the time of submission as eligible for the Dexter Award.
- HCM Division Best Student Paper Award – To be considered for this award, the paper must have a current student, as of the annual meeting submission date, listed as either the sole author or the first author on a multi-author paper.
All submissions must be made through the AOM Submission Center website. The Submission Center is targeted to open in early December 2022. The submission deadline
is Tuesday, 10 January 2023 at 17:00 ET (GMT-5/UTC-5) (but earlier submissions are encouraged). Please carefully review the submission guidelines and formatting instructions before submitting. If any of the guidelines or formatting instructions are not met, the submission cannot be reviewed.
Please note that there is limited space on the scholarly program; therefore, not all submissions will be accepted. All submissions will nevertheless make an important contribution to the HCM division, as the number of submissions impacts future allocation
of time on the program.
If your paper or symposium is accepted you are committing to attend the scholarly sessions, which will take place on Monday, 7 August and Tuesday, 8 August 2023.
AOM 2023 Key Dates
- Submission Center Opening:
- Submission Deadline:
10 January 2023
(17:00 ET UTC-5/GMT-5)
- Review Period:
19 January-23 February
- Registration/Housing Open:
Early March 2023
- Decision Notifications:
Late March 2023
- 83rd Annual Meeting:
4-8 August 2023